Employment history

Bioinformaticist

Starting February 1st 2012 I am employed as a bioinformaticist at NCB Naturalis.

Marie Curie Research Fellow

Starting from Fall 2009 to Fall 2011, I was employed as a research fellow at the University of Reading as a member of the Reading Evolutionary Biology Group working with Mark Pagel on natural selection in Primates, developing a comparative framework integrating molecules and natural history.

Consultant

Starting from Fall 2008 till November 2010, I have worked on the TreeBASE project as an outside consultant for the University of Pennsylvania.

Visiting scientist

From January to August 2007 I worked as a visiting scientist at the Berlin Institute for Advanced Study (Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin).

Research assistant, postdoctoral fellow

Starting from January 2004 till Fall 2009, I have worked at the University of British Columbia, as an international collaborator on the CIPRES project, contributing to architecture and database design.

Research assistant

From January 2001 through August 2006 I have worked intermittently as a research assistant at Simon Fraser University on a number of projects involving phylogenetic inference.

Educational software developer

From June through December 2000 I worked at BioMedia, in web development and software design for life sciences education.

Educational software developer

From June through September 1999 I worked at the Amsterdam Science and Technology Education Laboratory (AMSTEL institute ) where I developed an educational CD-ROM on mitosis and meiosis visualized using 3D microscope photography.

Research assistant

From September 1998 through June 1999 I worked at the Institute for Systematics and Population Biology (ISP, now part of IBED) performing lab experiments (RAPD-PCR) tracking population divergence in laboratory strains of the Western Flower Thrips Frankliniella occidentalis.